Picking Up Global History Research Paper Topics: 18 Great Prompts
One of the most difficult parts of writing a global history research paper starts long before you even start looking up resources: it’s choosing a topic that can be the most challenging. Here are 18 great prompts on global history you should consider using for your research paper:
- How did military leaders of the middle ages affect the way Europe would break into several powerful but competing empires?
- What role did the Catholic Church have in 13th century Europe when the continent had just emerged from the Dark Ages?
- How did technological advancements affect the era of European colonization of Asia, Africa and the Americas?
- How did the rule of the Aztec Empire benefit from the centralized engineering of its cities, villages, farmlands and roadways?
- Is the war in Afghanistan symbolic of a permanent conflict of the peoples in that area? How have recent treaties and alliances reshaped the country’s path?
- If the peoples of the Americas during the colonization period had been immune to the diseases introduced by Europeans could they have overcome the colonialists?
- What role did France have in shaping the world after the British lost the American colonies in the American Revolutionary War?
- How did the conditions and events leading up to the French Revolution inspire future revolutions in other parts of the world?
- How did the Cold War between the Soviet Union and the United States affect politics with the rest of the world?
- How did the events of the Iran-Contra affair affect the way foreign nations dealt with hostile situations that could alleviate into full scale war?
- How did the medicines of Ancient Egypt foster the study of medicine in Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome?
- How do advancements in women’s rights in first world leading countries like England and the United States affect progress in other parts of the world?
- How did the nuclear arms race affect how the world is shaped today and were there any real winners or losers?
- Why did the army of Iraq invade Kuwait in 1990 and how did the invasion shift the balance of power in countries from that region?
- What were the effects of the United States’ Manifest Destiny in shaping the regions to the north and south of its western push?
- How did the soviet revolution in Russia help inspire socialist revolutions in South America? Consider their similarities and differences.
- What were the major factors leading up to the French Revolution? And could the government have prevented the people’s uprising through diplomacy?
- What are the greatest concerns surrounding the nuclear arms race between neighboring enemy countries India and Pakistan?